Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Narantuul

Today, my helper, Nyamaa & myself went to Narantuul, also known as "Black Market". Initially, I thought "Black Market" sounds very dangerous, but after being there, its not dangerous at all! Sure, there are pick pockets around but which country does not have pick pockets? I was advised to be especially wary of the small boys because they are supposed to be inconspicuous than men.

I normally go to Narantuul without Nyamaa, but this time I needed her help. Majority of the store owners do not speak any other language besides Mongolian, so when I go, I use sign or body language - whichever helps me get my message across! The last time I went, I attempted to buy 2 zips to replace the broken zips of my pillow case and Cayden's sweater. I found the store, but no one wanted to sell me! This time, I brought Nyamaa, hoping that she can either find out why no one wants to sell me the zipper or help me buy the zippers.

It was a fruitful trip! I managed to buy practically everything on my list! The only down side was that some shop owners saw that I was a foreigner and decided to charge me more! When Nyamaa asked for the price of 1 pair of shorts, she quoted her TUG10,000. Then she heard me speaking English to Nyamaa, she changed her mind and said it costs TG11,000! But I was desperate. I needed shorts! When we first moved to Mongolia, I left all of my summer clothes in Singapore, thinking that everyday would be a cold day! So silly of me, right? The weather is getting hotter, and I really don't feel like wearing jeans or sweat pants everyday. Funnily enough, there weren't many shorts for sale in UB. I think the women don't usually wear them.

On our way back, I told Nyamaa that next time, I shall just zip my mouth and pretend to be mute. She will do all the talking. I will just shake or nod my head. I think that's a good plan.

Oh yes, we also bought a pair of fake Crocs for Cayden. Its so cheap! Its about S$1. Its great because the Crocs moulds his feet and its so light. Very cute too!


I can't wait for us to return to Singapore for our home leave in July/Aug! I really need to shop! Did I mention that I am a shopaholic? So you can imagine being here is really quite tortourous for me.

0 comments: