I was reading this book "The Good Life" by Jay McInerney. At the beginning of the book, there is a paragraph that really struck a cord with me. Very aptly written which reflects my thoughts too:
"Manhattan was an existential town, in which identity was a function of professional accomplishment; only the very young and the very rich were permitted to be idle. Russell (the main character;s husband) had initially supported her maternal ideal, though, as the years went by and their peers bought vacation homes in the Hamptons, he couldn't consistently disguise his resentment over their straitened finances, or his sense that his stay-at-home wife had become translucent, if not invisible, within the walls of their loft - a nanny without salary. "
Though I can't say that I am being resented by hubby (that would be very bad!), but it more or less sums up my current situation - feeling like a a nanny without salary. Hubby has not voiced out his resentment being the sole breadwinner of our household, but he does nag quite often about finances. I guess while we are not struggling or worrying about our next meal, we are conscious about our spending and expenses.
As you can see, I am still struggling to decide if I should or should not return to the work force. No answer yet.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hi there, I've been reading your blog for a while.
I understand how you feel. And recently I've had a brush of the same situation. Money is tight for a single income family, should I return to work when my son enters school in September?
Different people will make different choices depending on personality and situation. For me, I'm beginning to understand that to stay at home is a privilege rather than a disadvantage. It will be with much tears and pain that I go to work and leave him in the care of someone else.
Have a think. Hope you will come up with something that works for you and your family.
Hi Dory
Thanks for dropping by my blog.
Yes you are right that different people will make different choices ultimately.
I think, to me, its important that both myself and hubby should agree and support each other when either one of us stays home to look after the child. I think sometimes I do need the emotional support more than the financial support (though that's important too!), as I'm sure you know that being a stay at home mom can be really challenging!
Post a Comment